Sunday, August 25, 2013

First Day of School 2013-2014

 
We began our 7th year of school at home on Monday, August 19,2013.  I can hardly believe I have been doing it this long.  When we started Jake began the 4th grade, Jordan 3rd grade and Emily was just a little thing.  Thatcher wasn't even thought about.  Since then, Jordan has done well enough to skip a grade (she skipped 8th grade).  Emily had never been to public school, and is a whole grade above where Jake was when we started homeschooling in 2006.  I taught Emily how to read when I was pregnant with Thatcher.  It was such a special experience.  Now this year Thatcher is 4 and we are doing pre-k together.  Soon I will be teaching him phonics and reading!

In the last 7 years, many more of our friends and family have made the choice to bring their children home for school.  We have close to 20 homeschooling children among friends and family that live within 15 minutes of us.   I am hoping to get all these children together more often this year.  We have hopes of beginning a Keepers at Home club, more mom's night out, monthly gatherings for both structured and unstructured fun, as well as possible monthly roller skating at the local rink. 

I asked each of my kids what their expectations are for this year and here is what they said:

JAKE-  (10th grade age 15) Well, I hope school stays as interesting as it has been this past week.  It has so far been the best first week of school. I'm hoping it won't be to hard to juggle school and working half days at the nursery. I enjoy geometry although I keep mixing my words up and calling it geography. Probably my least favorite subject would be P.E. 

JORDAN- (10th grade age 13) So far school seems fairly simple.  It hope it doesn't take up too much of my day though.  Last year I got a little behind in my work so I am hoping to stay caught up this year.  I really like P.E.  I ride the stationary bike and read a book at the same time.  I don't have a subject I dislike, but I guess geometry and Spanish are my least favorite subjects so far.

EMILY- (5t grade age 10) I love my school so far this year.  I hope to get better at math.  I like math, but I am not good at it.  My favorite subject is art, I even do extra when I can.  I love to read books, but I don't really like my reading curriculum.  The comprehension questions are confusing.  I really love Keepers at Home.  I want to work on getting more badges, like flowers, typing, roller skating and cookie making. 

THATCHER- I want to do a popsicle stick craft and play with play dough. 

For me, the mom, my goal is still the same as ever.  I feel like if I can only instill a love for learning in each of my children, especially learning God's word and HIS will, then I will have accomplished a great goal! 

Deuteronomy 6:6-9
These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.



No comments: